Saturday, June 14, 2008

Paper is the new Prozac

I couldn't agree with this article more.

It talks about the difference between internet and print reading, and how writers need to adapt for internet reading.

It says blogs are not effective. I agree.

But it also says that paper isn't going anywhere. Like this quotation:
paper is the new Prozac. A balm for the distracted mind. It's contained, offline, tactile. William Powers writes about this elegantly in his essay "Hamlet's BlackBerry: Why Paper Is Eternal." He describes the white stuff as "a still point, an anchor for the consciousness."
I said something similar (though less eloquent) in a blog post on another site, which I'll reproduce here next.

The only thing I might add to the reasons why we read differently on the internet is that I personally find myself trying to escape my computer, so skimming lets me feel like I'm succeeding in that battle, which, given the amount that I skim, isn't true at all.

And if you make it to the end of the article (or skim there), you'll be rewarded with a nostalgic (and remarkably awkward) treat.

No comments: